Monday, October 11, 2010

Tweeting for Peace

Like many people, I've been concerned about negative and pessimistic reports from the current round of Middle East Peace Talks. I spent a good chunk of the weekend reading up on the Middle East for class, and one of the themes I took away from the reading is that interpersonal relationships are critically important at the highest levels of international negotiations.

In fact, to hear Jimmy Carter tell it, the story of the Camp David Accords is impossible to understand without appreciating the luncheons and presents and friendly conversations that built their foundation.

So you can imagine my relief when I saw this article. Yes, my favorite Tweeter is in the Middle East! And People magazine reports that a reliable source ... or, you know, a source ... says he and his wife are speaking at a conference there. Now, I've expressed suspicion of Kutcher's ability to tweet the world's heartache away in the past, but I'll say it again. If it comes down to the charisma of the star of Dude, Where's My Car or the persuasive power of luncheons and chats, I'm putting my money on luncheons and chats.

I'm not opposed to celebrity-policy mash-ups. Far from it. But I do think Ashton may be in over his head on this one....

No comments:

Post a Comment